Thursday, January 3, 2013

My story begins....

   All my life I've been intrigued by storytelling. From the time I was a little girl listening to my grandfather tell tales to listening to locals talk about yesteryear, I have been mesmerized with the power of a story. As a professional, I have incorporated storytelling and other forms of art into non-formal educational programs.
   In 2000, maybe, I attended a conference in Asheville North Carolina called Arts Builds Communities. There I heard Sheila Kay Adams' story and I heard her tell stories. She made and impression on me that wouldn't go away. Later, I heard Bil Lepp tell STORIES. Wow the contrast between those two is unbelievable, both great in their original methods of storytelling. Sheila's stories about home and people she grew up with. Bil's, well maybe they're about people he grew up with, but I do believe there is a reason he wins the liars' contest every year.
    Then, through advice from Judy Sizemore, I invited Appalachian Storyteller Pam Holcomb to Elliott County to help with a workshop on interpretation. Again, I was blown away with the power of storytelling. Three years ago, thanks to a grant through the Kentucky Arts Council, I hosted a year of writing and storytelling workshops. Octavia Sexton, Pam Holcomb, Christie Cook, Garry Barker, Gurney Norman, and others came to teach these workshops. Ten people attended most of the sessions but I believe I learned the most. My love of writing and storytelling grew and grew and is still growing.
    I am now in the middle of a Storytelling Apprenticeship program with my mentor Pam Holcomb. This blog is my way of letting you know the direction this new path or trail takes me. I will be posting some stories I've written in the past and some new ones. So Welcome to Gwenda's Storytelling Trail. Hopefully, I'll be posting at least once a week, maybe more.
    Come walk with me as I find my way to the world of storytelling.

2 comments:

carolyn said...

I want to walk this storytelling path with you. I am so happy I discovered your blog.
Carolyn

Gwenda said...

Thank you Carolyn. Glad to have you join my journey. It's a bit exciting.